This program is designed to encourage young girls to become more interested and passionate about STEM related fields through hands-on experiments and female guest speakers with experience in a variety of STEM fields. Our program will be run by 2 college sophomores who will work with 5th and 6th grade girls to complete fun and engaging STEM related experiments. Females tend to be extremely misrepresented in fields and jobs pertaining to science, technology, engineering and/or math and it is our goal to change that! By introducing girls at a young age to the exciting and challenging components of these fields we will be able to invoke a special interest in them for STEM. Females are beneficial to all sorts of STEM related jobs for multiple reasons and each new female that enters a STEM field helps us reach our goal for equal representation! By the end of our program we hope to excite the girls about the many opportunities to explore science, technology, engineering and math!
Experiments may include: Stick Bridges, Compost in a Cup, Rainbow Jar, Chromatography, Coding a Lego Maze, Cloud in a Jar, Invisible Ink, and Lava Lamp.
A few things to know:
- All materials will be pre-packaged and available for a contact-less pick up the week before the class begins. Information will follow once you are registered.
- All class zoom links will be emailed out 24 hours prior to the first class.
- Class sizes are limited so your child can get the most out of each experiences.
- Material box costs are non-refundable.
- There will be two recreation department staff members on every zoom.