Both classes will go over the basics of luring, shaping, treat delivery and positive reinforcement. These skills lead to specific behavior development such as the classic sit/stay, leave-it and general impulse control as well as the all-important recall. Since we will be outside, the question of working with distractions and attention will be very important right from the start!
Remember – we are happy to work with your dogs to demonstrate proper timing and form, but these classes are meant to teach you how to train your dog, so practice and repetition are key.
Class 1: Beginner class
This class is for people who have not had a class before or not for a long time, or in a dog training style other than R+. As mentioned above we will start with the basics such as principles of dog training, getting your dog’s attention and teaching their name (yes this is a skill!). We will move to impulse control, specific commands such as sit and down, and then extending these with stay. We will also work on recall games, and there will be time for specific problems and questions.
Class 2: Advanced Beginner Class
This class will have a similar curriculum but will start faster and go further – we will assume a level of familiarity with the how silent training and reinforcement works as well as the 4 D’s of distraction.
- Instructor: Morgan Stebbins and Michele Moretti
- Day: Saturday
- Location: Community Center Front Field
- Registration opens June 30 at 9am.
- These classes are NOT play-dates and dogs should not be allowed to interact, nor should they be off leash at any time.
- Please always bring poop bags with you and clean up after your dog.
- These classes are held outside and will be weather permitting.